Course upgrades, an innovative staff and a stunning setting unite in a must-see destination.
Camden Golf Club Ltd was established in 1950 at its permanent site at Studley Park after occupying several sites in and around Camden since the 1930s. The club enjoys a superb location in the middle of a huge population growth area in Sydney’s south-west.
The Studley Park property has a history that goes back more than 200 years and has been owned by individuals, a private school, the Army and now a golf course surrounding the commanding feature at
the site: Studley Park House (although the view to the distant Blue Mountains is also pretty special).
Course superintendent Justin Bradbury has made significant changes in both the look and quality of the course in the past two years. Recent visitors have, without exception, commented on the outstanding improvements of fairways, bunkering, tees and particularly the greens, which are now considered hard, fast and true. Camden greens have become a highlight for some and a challenge for the faint-hearted.
Bradbury and his team have developed some ‘must-see’ highlights at the Camden course, including:
• The second hole ‘tiger’ tee that creates an extremely difficult tee shot on a short but challenging par 4.
• The new par-5 eighth hole provides for birdie opportunities for some, but the risk/reward approach shot to a narrow and undulating green with trouble short and long is demanding even for the elite player.
• The new par-3 ninth hole might rank as one of the hardest in Sydney. Longer than 200 metres uphill to an undulating green protected heavily with bunkers and out-of-bounds. Unfortunately, there is likely to be plenty of spectators watching your troubles from the wonderful alfresco area at the back of the clubhouse. Don’t be offended if one of the children in the new outdoor play area makes a comment during your woes.
• The changes to the 12th hole have been significant. Having changed from a tough par 3 to a lengthened but shortish risk/reward par 4, new mounding has created a wonderful amphitheatre around the green, while the grass bunker needs to be avoided at all costs. Greg Norman once called this hole one of the best par 3s in the country – and while the club thinks the ninth hole eclipses that comment, the 12th as a par 4 is equally thrilling.
• The 13th continues to be the course’s signature hole visually, with a most delightful vista from the tee. A daunting tee shot with water calling on the left and tree trouble on the right, followed by a challenging approach with a very exposed and heavily bunkered green.
Stuart Meani, as head professional, has been instrumental in the continued progress of the club. He has developed a wonderful junior program and has lessons available at the club’s driving range.
With a new leadership team, including Donna Bernard as general manager, an active and progressive board of directors, membership numbers increasing significantly and the ‘Happy Grillmore’ bistro offering a variety of delicious, freshly cooked meals for lunch and dinner, Camden Golf Club is a great place to visit.
Camden Golf Club
Where: 50 Lodges Rd, Narellan NSW 2567
Phone: (02) 4646 1203