Australian Golf Digest will be on the ground at Shinnecock Hills in New York for the US Open. To get you up to speed, here is a guide to the year’s second major.
First round tee times, Aussies
8:56pm – Trey Mullinax, Gardendale, Ala.; (a) Matt Parziale, Brockton, Mass.; Jason Scrivener, Australia
9:07pm – David Bransdon, Australia; Eric Axley, Knoxville, Tenn.; Tyler Duncan, Columbus, Ind.
9:18pm – (a) Garrett Rank, Canada; Mackenzie Hughes, Canada; Aaron Baddeley, Australia
9:40pm – Bubba Watson, Bagdad, Fla.; Jason Day, Australia; Brooks Koepka, West Palm Beach, Fla
10:13pm – Hideki Matsuyama, Japan; Marc Leishman, Australia; Rickie Fowler, Murrieta, Calif
3:36am – Cameron Smith, Australia; Kyle Stanley, Gig Harbor, Wash.; Pat Perez, Scottsdale, Ariz.
3:47am – Henrik Stenson, Sweden; Adam Scott, Australia; Martin Kaymer, Germany
2:30 am – Matthew Jones, Australia; Ryan Fox, New Zealand; Shota Akiyoshi, Japan
4:20am – Lucas Herbert, Australia; Brian Stuard, Jackson, Mich.; (a) Stewart Hagestad, Newport Beach, Calif.
Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, Southampton (Long Island), New York
ABOUT THE US OPEN
A field of 156 players will play 18 holes of stroke play on June 14 and 15, after which the field will be reduced to the low 60 scores and ties. Those players making the cut will play 18 holes on June 16 and 17. If there is a tie upon the completion of 72 holes, a two-hole aggregate playoff will immediately follow. If this playoff results in a tie, the tied players will immediately continue to play off hole-by-hole until the winner is determined.
Big bomber Brooks Koepka brought the longest ever US Open course to its knees during a four-stroke victory over 54-hole leader Brian Harman and Hideki Matsuyama
2018 US Open Championship – Par & Length
Shinnecock Hills Golf Club will set up at 7,440 yards and will play to a par of 35-35—70. The yardage for each round of the championship will vary due to course setup and conditions.
ABOUT SHINNECOCK HILLS
• Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is the lone course to have hosted the US Open in three different centuries
• Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, founded in 1891, is the oldest incorporated golf club in the United States
• Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is one of the five founding member clubs of the USGA, which was established in 1894 and conducted its first championships in 1895
• In 1896, Shinnecock Hills Golf Club hosted the second US Open (35 total players) and second US Amateur (58 total players)
• In 1995, the Centennial US Open was played at Shinnecock Hills and won by Corey Pavin
• The 118th US Open is the ninth USGA championship to be conducted at the club
• The 2018 US Open will be the 10th played on Long Island and fifth at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club
►Shinnecock Hills Golf Club will also host the 2026 U.S. Open
PLAYERS IN FIELD WITH MOST US OPEN APPEARANCES: Phil Mickelson (26), Ernie Els (25), Jim Furyk (23), Steve Stricker (20), Tiger Woods (19), Sergio Garcia (18), Adam Scott (16), Matt Kuchar (15), Paul Casey (14) and Zach Johnson (14).
MOST CONSECUTIVE US OPEN APPEARANCES: Ernie Els (25), Jim Furyk (22), Adam Scott (16), Sergio Garcia (18), Zach Johnson (14), Dustin Johnson (10), Martin Kaymer (10) and Matt Kuchar (10).
WHAT THE WINNER RECEIVES
Among the benefits enjoyed by the U.S. Open winner are:A U.S. Open exemption for the next 10 years
• An invitation to the next five Masters
• An invitation to the next five Open Championships
• An invitation to the next five PGA Championships
• An invitation to the next five Players Championships
• Exempt status on the PGA Tour for five years